We are committed to respecting your privacy. Taw Velo is a Community Amateur Sports Club, run by volunteers, and registered in Barnstaple, Devon. We are affiliated to British Cycling, the Cycling Time Trials and have achieved Club Mark status. The club can be contacted via the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about any of the ways we may use your personal information, please contact us using the email address above, or ask any of the committee members.
How do we collect your personal information?
- Using a paper consent form (for riders attending coached sessions).
- Through online membership applications made on the British Cycling Website. You should refer to the British Cycling privacy information for further details. British Cycling shares your information with Taw Velo as your selected club.
- Through emails sent to the club email address.
- Through forms completed on this website.
- Through messages received via Facebook messenger as part of the Taw Velo Page.
- Using a paper membership form (these are no longer being used as standard, but existing members may have registered previously using one)
What personal information does Taw Velo collect?
- Email address
- Phone number
- Date of birth
- Membership start and end date
- Records of your interactions with us such as emails and other correspondence
- Payment details (limited to cash/ cheque payment records or online transaction records provided to the club by our bank)
- Records of attendance at any events hosted by the club
- Images in video and/or photographic form
- Details of emergency contacts
- Records of attendance at coaching sessions
- Records of results at events
It is important to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up-to-date, and you should let us know if anything changes by emailing us or speaking to a member of the committee. If you do not provide us with all of the requested personal information, for example on our membership or coaching consent forms, we may not be able to properly administer your membership.
Special Categories of Personal Information
We may also collect sensitive information about medical conditions that may affect your participation in cycling activities. This information is requested on coaching consent forms as per British Cycling guidance. These details are primarily gathered for youth riders attending coaching, but may also be gathered for adults participating in coached sessions. It is processed on the basis of consent which you can withdraw at any time by speaking with one of our club coaches.
Information for coaches and volunteers
Taw Velo asks individuals who volunteer with us in certain roles to provide information such as contact details, qualification details and DBS certificates in order to comply with our safeguarding, insurance and club management obligations.
What do we do with the information you provide?
Management of Club Membership
The club has a membership contract with its members and uses personal information to undertake the following activities as part of this membership:
- Emails are sent to club members about club activities, such as club organised events, meetings such as the AGM, information about purchasing kit, or when membership is due for renewal. These are administrative emails for the purposes of providing the service of club membership.
- We do not send marketing information to any of our club members or race entrants. The club is sponsored by Bike It, and supported by Bike Shed, and the benefits of this sponsorship and support are part of club membership. Information about sponsorship from Bike It and Bike Shed may be included in communications from the club if it is relevant to the club membership and club activities.
Management of Club Activities
The club processes information for the following club management purposes on the basis of legitimate interest. This is where the interests and needs of the club are balanced against, and do not infringe on, the rights and freedoms of individual members.
- We collect and store details about our members to maintain knowledge of who our club members are. This allows us to track membership renewals and to check entitlement to membership benefits. This information is managed on the British Cycling Club Management Tool.
- New membership applications are now managed online via British Cycling. However, where existing members may have completed a paper form, these details are transferred onto the online British Cycling Club Management Tool to maintain a central and secure record of membership.
- Membership data is used to analyse our membership to plan activities and ensure we are meeting the needs of our members.
- Personal information relating to activities and trips for club members is used to administer the trip, and may be carried or used on the trip to ensure safety.
- Personal information relating to financial matters is used to provide financial evidence for the production of club accounts.
Management of Coaching Sessions
The club has a legitimate interest in using personal information about riders taking part in coached sessions. These activities include:
- Using personal information about youth riders (and adults if attending a coached session) to set up registers and record attendance at sessions and therefore meet governing body standards with regards to good club management.
- Sharing Information about riders, including medical information, among club coaches to ensure appropriate and safe coaching. Medical information is gathered with consent.
Races and Relationship with British Cycling
Where Taw Velo runs race events under British Cycling, the club will receive details about your race entry from British Cycling, including your name, date of birth, emergency contact details and gender. In this circumstance, Taw Velo is acting as the data processor and using your information on behalf of, and as instructed by, British Cycling. Taw Velo will collect personal information when riders sign up to the race on the day; this information is given to British Cycling.
Sharing of Your Personal Information
As an adult club member your information may be shared on the club website, social media pages or in emails sent by the club. This data will only be shared in the event that either you are a club volunteer, have participated in a race or challenge event or have recorded a major achievement. This data will be limited to your name, race results (if applicable) and details of your achievement. Limited further information about you may be included; for example, whether you have participated in a juniors’ race or a women’s race.
Taw Velo may use photos or video of adults participating in club activities or events on the club social media channels, website or in the media. If you do not wish to have your photo taken then please let a committee member or photographer know. You can ask the club to remove photos from our website or social media channels and this will be done without question as soon as possible. Please be aware however that once shared online that it is impossible to control a photo that may be used by third parties.
For youth members, parent/ guardian consent is gained for the use of photographs and details for publicity purposes.
We may also share your personal information with the following parties:
- Governing bodies or regional bodies for the sports covered by our club: to allow them to properly administer the sport on a local, regional and national level. This would primarily be British Cycling and Cycling Time Trials
- With Bike It, Barnstaple. This is strictly limited to confirmation of your name and membership status only, if requested. This is in relation to the discount at the shop that individual members are given as part of their membership. No membership lists or contact details are shared with third parties for marketing purposes.
- Where we are required to do so by law.
How do we store your information?
Our club membership records are held on the online British Cycling Club Management Tool and are only accessed by authorised committee members. Your details may also be held securely on a paper membership form by the Club Secretary.
Club coaches hold records of participants who attended coaching sessions. Event organisers will also hold details of participation in events. These records may be electronic or paper based for the purposes of having them easily available at the event or coaching sessions.
How long do we keep your information?
The duration for which we retain your information will differ depending on the type of information and the reason why we collected it from you. Generally, where there is no legal requirement, we will retain all physical and electronic records for a period of 2 years after your last contact with us or the end of your membership. This period might be exceeded where it involves information that may be relevant to any legal claims.
You have the following rights in relation to your personal information:
- the right to be informed about how your personal information is being used
- the right to access the personal information we hold about you
- the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information we hold about you
- the right to request the erasure of your personal information in certain limited circumstances
- the right to restrict processing of your personal information where certain requirements are met
- the right to object to the processing of your personal information
- the right to request that we transfer elements of your data either to you or another service provider; and
- the right to object to certain automated decision-making processes using your personal information
To exercise any of the above rights, or if you have any questions relating to your rights, please contact us by emailing email@example.com, or speak to a member of the committee. Taw Velo does not undertake any automated decision making.
If you are unhappy with the way we are using your personal information you can also complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
In the event of any query or complaint in connection with the information we hold about you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or speak to a committee member as listed on our website.
We may update this privacy notice from time to time. This Policy was published on 13th June 2018.